Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Mon Anniversaire!

So, as many of you know my birthday was on sunday! Here is a summary of events
Friday- IES visit to musee Dorbree which is literally a block from the IES center where I take classes. It was pretty cool, favorite part: pair of white porcaline dogs. And Jewlery.








faceted amber according to the description- much prettier in reality than in this picture.

Saturday- We went on a day trip to Mont St Michel and St Malo. I had a great time! We had to meet at 7h45 and my host parents said they would drive me. So I was hanging out in the living room in the morning ready to go. We don't end up leaving until 7h39. Alain was driving me and he took a very roundabout way which he claimed was faster. Everything was going alright until we got to a circle that they are doing construction on. End result, we were driving on the sidewalk, avoiding trees and outdoor cafes when Shereen called asking if I was coming because the bus was leaving. When I finally ran on the bus, the kids and family of M deBerranger (the director) were in the front so I thought that I had gotten on the wrong bus and almost turned around and got off! On the bus ride there the weather was georgeous- blue sky and sun. There was also a herd of sheep crossing the road that we had to wait for. By the time we got to Mont St Michel it had clouded up.
We walked around and toured Mont St Michel. It was very pretty with a history back to the 11th century. Unfortunately about two rooms into our tour my camera died. So I will have to get pictures from others.
A few of my friends and I ate at a little creperie where I had my first french creme brulee which was delicious. After lunch we had to race back to the bus so we could go to St Malo.




Shereen, me, Meghan, and Lian in fron of the Mont St Michel



The walk up was lined with cute stores and cafes.





This was the location of a pretty garden and also the death of my camera. I will put up other pictures after I get them from someone.






By the time we got to St Malo it was pouring. It is a walled city on the beach. We walked all the way around the ramparts on top of the walls before going to the beach and climbing on the rocks. I now own a small collection of french seashells. I also displayed my knowledge of shore wildlife by explaining the difference between barnacles and limpits. The weather had gotten a little better by the time we went to the beach so it was really fun. I basically had to drag my friends there by saying it was my birthday and I wanted to walk on the beach. But they were thanking me after because it was such a good time.



My camera came back to life for one last picture, which turned out beautifuly and is now my desktop background on my computer.

2 comments:

dad said...

Laura - HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY!!! Did you get the delivery from mom and I? Thanks for the weekly photos. I really look forward to them and enjoy them. Enjoy Paris! Love ya.

B said...

Laura
Oh my goodness, do I love the dogs!! Happy (belated) Birthday- I figure between this and the early birthday wishes on Facebook, I come out on time, right?

Miss you like crazy right now!
B